The 2018 Hastings United Football Sports Journalism Competitions
There are two categories in the Sports Journalism competition: under 18s and 18 years and over.
Over 18s: The Hastings United Football Club Sports Writer of the Year Award will be given for a piece of sports writing which is fresh, inventive, and provides insight into the sportsperson or sport that is the subject of the piece. You needn’t write a report of a specific match or tournament: it could be about the football World Cup, or doping in cycling, or Women’s rugby, or a profile of a sports personality – entirely up to you! Please stick to the word limit – 1000 words (not including the title or page numbers).
Under 18s: The Hastings United Football Club Junior Sports Journalist of the Year Award. This award is for high standards of writing, strength of thought and freshness of ideas. The piece must be a review or report of a match (any match – it does not have to be HUFC, or even a football match) taking place between 1st March and 31 May 2018. There is a strict word limit – 500 words (not including the title or the date, time and place of the match).
Both competitions are free to enter.
Prizes: Winners of both the Under- and Over- 18s will receive a trophy and match tickets (in the Chairman’s Box !) to see Hastings United FC in action, plus other HUFC goodies. Winners and runners up in both categories will also receive book tokens from Hastings LitFest.
Winners will be announced and prizes presented at the Hastings Litfest closing ceremony on Hastings Pier on Sunday 2nd September.
How to enter:
- Submit your piece as a PDF attachment to an email. It should be typed, written in English, and 1.5 or double line-spaced, in Times New Roman 12pt font.
- Don’t forget to check your word count!
- Do not put your name or any other information on the attachment except the title, page numbering, and (for under 18s) the date, place and teams involved in your match report.
- Put “Under 18 Sport” or “Over 18 Sport” as appropriate in the subject line of the email.
- In the body of the email include your name, address and a contact telephone number.
- Send your email to email@example.com . The closing date for both competitions is 30th June 2018 and no entries will be accepted after midnight on that date.
The judges of both competitions will be appointed by HUFC.
You may also be interested in the Sports Journalism Workshop on Saturday 1st September.